Welcome
Welcome to cleanrepublic - Sign up to ask a question - Easy and Free - Quick responses.

Parallel vs. Series Installation

Heat water with the power of the sun! Solar Vacuum tube projects and questions.

Moderator: Beau Clean Republic

Parallel vs. Series Installation

Postby greeny » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

So I am looking at doing solar hot water heater but cannot get much information on the different types of small 10 tube collectors. I need to use the small tubes because of all the PV installed on my roof. There is one company (MISOL) that has a similar system but they have straight 22mm ends (7/8") which would allow much more flow and which would be better for a hot heater system for a house since you are not flowing through a 1/4" hose. I have a 50 gallon water tank. The data that I have found says: "One heat streamer heats 5 gallons of water from 68 F to 122 F in four hours. It jumps the temperature of any input water flowing through the heat streamer by 37 F at a flow rate of 5 gallons per hour. The pump's max water flow is 20 liters per minute (5.28 gallon/min)." So if I use 4 of them I could get 20 gallons of water per hour headed up. But I am sure that is an open system, i.e. not under any pressure from your house system. When I contacted MISOL they recommend 4 racks for heating up a 50 gallon hot water tank.

I've created a few pictures to see what you all think.

Series System: Image

Parallel System: Image

Another type: Image
Parallel system.jpg
Parallel System
Parallel system.jpg (150.94 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Attachments
different kits.jpg
Different Kits
different kits.jpg (163.83 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Series System.jpg
Series System
Series System.jpg (139.94 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
greeny

Re: Parallel vs. Series Installation

Postby Robyn Clean Republic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:17 pm

The Heat Streamers can be connected in series or parallel, it just depends on what you are looking for. Either way the manifold will soak up the same amount of energy, it is a matter of how quickly you want the water to heat up.

In series the units will be much simpler to connect up but the water could end up getting hotter than you want with the slower flow through. We recommend connecting the systems in parallel. That would require more piping, but the slower flow rate could help to control the temperature.
Robyn Clean Republic

Postby jclrk46 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 am

+1 to the comment above. I would also strongly suggest parallel installation.
To be a queen of a household is a powerful thing.
A Green Origin
jclrk46

Postby dan02 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Which connection did you end up with? Thinking of doing this project as well right after we finished installing the Blue Ox towing parts on the current truck project. Logically, the parallel connection would be easier to manage the temp and faster water circulation.
dan02

Return to Solar Vacuum Tubes Projects